Madras School of Social Work, established in 1952, located in Chennai, South India, is an Autonomous Institution, NAAC accredited and affiliated to University of Madras. Madras School of Social Work was founded by Mary Clubwala Jadhav under the auspices of Madras State Branch of the Indian Conference of Social Work (renamed the Indian Council of Social Welfare) and the Guild of Service (central). The school is run under the aegis of the Society for Social Education and Research (SSER). Madras School of Social Work is a member of the Association of Schools of Social Work in India and the Asia – Pacific Association of Social Work Education. The School is also affiliated to the International Association of Schools of Social Work. The School is rated 3rd Best Social Work College in India and First in South India.
Born in 1908 into a rich Parsi family, Mary Clubwala Jadhav was raised strictly in the traditional way by her mother who taught her the values of caring and sharing. In 1926, she was married to Mr. Nogi Clubwala who encouraged her to involve in social activities. In 1937, Mrs. Mary Clubwala was made as the honorary secretary of the Guild of Service. In 1942, with World War II raging Mrs. Clubwala founded the Indian Hospitality Committee and persuaded women from all communities and walks of life to join in the effort to organise mobile canteens, hospital visits, diversional therapy and entertainment programmes for the army men.The victorious 14th Army presented her a Japanese sword in appreciation of her tremendous efforts. Mrs. Mary Clubwala was called “the Darling of the Army” by General Cariappa! After the War, her focus was once again on the Guild of Service which put down roots for various projects like health centres, bakery units, an adoption centre, family assistance schemes, Meals on Wheels, rural development projects, a school for the deaf, to name just a few.
Mrs. Clubwala’s concern for destitute children was responsible for starting the Seva Samajam Boys’ Home and the Seva Samajam Girls’ Home in Adyar in 1950. In 1954, she helped get started, through the joint efforts of the Guild and the Madras Rotary Club, the Bala Vihar in Kilpauk, a school for mentally challenged children. Perhaps Mrs. Clubwala’s most significant contribution was establishing the Madras School of Social Work in 1952 as the fourth social work institution in India and the first institution in India. She had been honoured by the International Council of Social Welfare with the “Outstanding Service Award” at Hague in 1972. She has also been awarded the “Padma Shri” by Government of India. On 6 th February 1975, she breathed her last in Bombay after a surgery to fight cancer. Condoling her death, Mrs. Indira Gandhi mentioned that India lost an eminent social worker.